Monday, May 18, 2009

Standing Alone

Between Cotulla and San Antonio there is a pasture and in the middle of that pasture stands one Oak Tree; big, old and alone. I am sure there are other places with other pastures and other Oak Trees but this one is special to me for some reason. It is not a landmark that reminds me I am getting close to my destination. It is not a particularly pretty picture; I have never caught the sun rising or setting behind it. But it has become special and I always notice it.

It reminds me that sometimes in our faith we feel like we are standing all alone. Like the King David who wrote “I lie awake; I have become like a bird alone on a roof.” (Psalm 102:7). Where are those who support us? Where are those who can give us comfort?

However, the old Oak tree standing all alone in that pasture is fulfilling a great duty. It has probably served as shade for many animals in the heat of the day. It serves as a sanctuary for birds and a place to rest weary wings. It serves as a source of strength for me as I drive past. It may be reminding me that I am not alone. In working out my duty I may be providing shade and rest for those who are near me. I pray it be so!

It reminds me of another tree. A tree that my savior died on; that tree at Calvary. It reminds me of the words of Jesus on that tree as He felt alone and deserted: “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me.” (Matthew 27:46) It is because of that Tree when I start feeling alone, like a bird alone on the roof that I realize I am not alone. Truth is that I find shade, rest and peace because of that lone tree and you can too. You ask how? You don’t know that rest and peace? Then we need to talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment