Monday, May 18, 2009

Something Bigger than Me

She came into my office different than I had ever seen her. Just a few days ago I saw her full of life, seemingly very confident and ready to take on the world. Now her eyes seemed empty, her shoulders slumped and her chin was not held quiet at high. She looked tired.

Those were almost her first words. After the normal greetings and polite handshake she sat down opposite my desk. I looked at her and waited for her to speak. After a big exhale of what seemed to be all of the energy she had left she quietly said “I just seem to be kind of lost”. She explained how she had been successful in high school and college. She had many friends but they all seemed to have moved on in life. They were either married now with other priorities or in other locations. The world she had created no longer existed and for the first time she was actually alone. She had changed jobs several times thinking that was the answer and in public she expended all her energy keeping up pretense that all was still perfect in her world. The truth was this was not the way she pictured the evolution of her life taking place.

It has been a number of years since she came into my office and now I believe I have a better answer for her than I did at that time. It is funny how one’s own experience educates and informs.

I can remember how full my life seemed when I got married, how it became more purposeful when each of my children were born, when I accepted the call to the ministry. Each of these events had one thing in common; they were much bigger than me. Each one took me out of my universe and placed me in something with more meaning. The truth is however, the young girl who walked into my office that day could have been me on several occasions in my life. It is easy for us to loose fact that there are things bigger than we are. That we need to have those “causes” to live for, to fight for and to champion.

What is the purpose of your life? Could it be that you too are just wondering around from one pasture to the next? Out of one gate and through another and never seeming to find your place? You have a purpose, a meaning in this world and there is only one who can show you the way. If you have never met Him or never really given your life to him, lets talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment