Monday, May 25, 2009

Fast Easy Devotion

We enjoy our conveniences; they speed things up. Imagine how much time you save each morning with your automatic coffee maker, blow dryers and Toaster Studdels. How did the world survive without drive through hamburger joints? Communication is now so much faster with texting taking the place of emails which took the place of typed letters and so on. While I am writing this with “tongue in cheek” I do appreciate those things that do help up save time and make our lives more efficient.

However I do not think some things were meant to be stream lined. There are those things that need to be given attention. Talks with those you love, that lingering look at the sunset just cannot be shortened and still be effective.

Recently I was driving to Fort Worth and a church caught my attention. It wasn’t the architecture which was unusual but a gigantic banner that hung across the front that made me wonder if it was speaking to me. The banner read:

30 MINUTE WORSHIP SESSIONS

If we who call ourselves “people of God”, “followers of Christ”, “devoted Christians” cannot find in our weeks more than thirty-minutes to put all things aside and worship the God who created and loved us enough to give Himself for our eternal salvation then something in our “devotion” must be wrong.

I know how I felt when I saw the banner. I wonder how God felt when it was hung or how he feels each time people enter into His house with just thirty-minutes to give. We can spend two hours driving to and eating at a good restaurant. It is easy to spend three hours or more sitting in a movie theatre or even five hours in a club dancing with those we love but only have thirty minutes to worship the God who gave us the time to enjoy.

I know, nowhere does it say how long worship should be. But, still, it just hits me wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment