Thursday, May 7, 2009

Piles of Rocks, Piles of Stories

I remember going to the Terry County Cotton Gin with my father and grand-father when I was a boy. Most of the time it consisted of me sitting just outside a small square table with a green slate top and four chairs filled with “old” men playing dominoes. I was to be quiet, watch and listen. I learned a lot about dominoes but learned more about R. B.’s new ropin’ horse, or how Ed’s cow-dog turned a bull in drive years back. I learned that stories, while often stretched, were important and there was always a kernel of truth in them. I remember my grand-dad saying, after a particularly fascinating story, “first liar never stands a chance,” and everyone laughing. I still love those stories!


Those stories were important. They gave geographical landmarks like “the place where that filly paint threw ol’ Jim”. Or, that salt flat that the calf got stuck in “clean up to her neck” just south of Brownfield. They also gave moral landmarks like the times good and bad deals made on napkins over coffee and a handshake at the local cafĂ©. But those stories were important!


The Bible is filled with examples of the importance of stories. In Exodus God tells Moses that they are to remember the times they spent in the desert and tell their children so they would never forget. Sometimes there would be physical landmarks made that would be a starting point to tell the stories. In Joshua the third chapter God is going to lead the Hebrew mass across a raging, flooded Jordan river. When this is completed He tells Joshua to get men from each tribe and get stones from the middle of the river and place them on the bank. Why? We verse six tells us “…to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' 7 tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever." Every time a family would make the journey they would see the pile of rocks and the father would tell the story. They were to never forget. The stories were important!


There is another story the Bible tells. It tells of God loving me so much that He sent Jesus, His Son, to live the life I cannot not and to die the death I deserve so that I might have the life He wishes for me. Every time I see a cross I remember that story. I told it to my children and now tell it to others. The story is important!


Do you know that story? If you don’t email me or comment and lets talk. I would love to tell you my story because it is yours too. THE STORY IS IMPORTANT!

No comments:

Post a Comment