Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Born to Do Something!

”I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live” Ecclesiastes 3:12

Three years ago I inherited a Smooth Border Collie from my oldest son. He named her Dallas and while at the time I did not want a dog I would not take anything for her now. It wasn’t that I did not like dogs. I have almost always had one. But I did not have the time to take care of one. The training and care of a dog takes time. Well I got her anyway and in three days she was mine and there was no question. You seldom see me now without her.

While at the time we did not have any stock Debbie and I did several things with her to help her burn off her young energy. We took long walks and played ball and Frisbee on the football field. I started training her to be obedient and calm. She learned to trust me and her lessons came easy. She is a smart dog.

However, she was not born to fetch balls, nor run 70 – 80 yards full out to catch a Frisbee. Her blood does not run through her body to walk on rails. She is a herder and herd she must. To this day she cannot be comfortable unless she knows where everyone is. She will pace back and forth in the house from room to room checking and making sure her herd is safe. The only time she can relax is when Debbie and I are in the same room and still. That is what she was born to do. That is when she is happy because she is doing good!

We all have our “gifts”; those things it seems we were born to do. What is yours? Do you hear the word of the “preacher” in Ecclesiastes; “there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live”. For those of us who have experienced the new birth are re-born to do good works. Paul says: “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10. If you are a follower of Christ and are not happy it may be because your focus is on something other than what you were born for. Only you can change that, do it today.

If you have not followed Christ as your Lord and Savior and you are tired of chasing Frisbees and fetching balls and seem to be lost and unhappy give me a call (respond) and let me tell you how you can find what you were created to do. For there is ‘nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.”

No comments:

Post a Comment