Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Wrong Impressions

I hate going to the dentist! Not that I am afraid, nor have I ever been hurt by one but I just do not have great teeth. Going to the dentist is about like taking our old 1985 Toyota Tercell into the shop for a minor fix and the mechanic spending thirty minutes telling me what needed to be done. But not long ago I had to buckle down and take the trip.

After making the hour and half drive from Cotulla to San Antonio I arrived at the dental office and found a place to park my truck. As I was waling across the parking lot I crossed a man that was rather ragged and rough looking. He had shaggy hair, un-kept beard and was wearing greasy jeans with a dirty T-shirt and leather vest. He was standing on the sidewalk smoking a cigarette and drinking a coke.

We made casual eye contact and the polite nod as I passed him. I am somewhat ashamed to say that this person and I would probably not be having lunch together and would be a much rougher and tougher person than I would normally hang around.

As I checked in I was informed that I needed to up-date my personal information and was given a clip board with four sheets of questions. This was my second visit to this dentist and we had just completed all of these papers in our first. However, I was told that the date on those papers were 2008 and they needed a new year update.

I found a seat in the crowded waiting room next to an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair. He was obviously unable to care for himself and just sit and stared into space. I spoke as I sat down and he did not respond.

I started filling out the papers with my name, address, phone numbers, email, and other vital information that they would need and out of the corner of my eye I noticed the man from outside was walking toward me. With blanket in hand he addressed the old man and wrapped him gently in the blanket with the words, “are you warmer now daddy.” I do not believe I have ever heard such compassion in a voice as when this man spoke to his father.

We never know. Forgive me for my judgment!

No comments:

Post a Comment