Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Living Old Time Today

While driving back from taking some boys to the annual RA camp at the Alto-Frio Baptist encampment I had some wonderful time to “ponder” on some things. Two things happened at the same time that took me by surprise and made me realize something.
As I drove on the wide two lane Texas Highway with “improved shoulders” I caught a glimpse of a car coming on me pretty fast. Without thinking I pulled over to the shoulder giving the chase car plenty of room to get around me easily; he didn’t even have to change lanes. At that same time I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of my drivers side window. I saw my dad, I had acted like my dad.
Take away the MP3 player that was playing, the cell phone that was out of range of any signal, my emails and texts that were waiting for me. Never mind the flat screen television in my living room and the computer in which I get my news from (instead of the newspaper) I do not live that much different than my father and even my grand-father.
When approached by an upcoming car I give them room, when coming up on a slower vehicle I expect the same. If I am unable to get the check for lunch I get the tip. If I catch the ticket first then I expect you should get the tip.
If you need a tool and are close you are welcome to use mine. They are not locked up. All I ask is that you leave me some kind of note so I don’t look for it if I need it. I generally keep my tools pretty neat but can leave them laying somewhere if I get distracted. When you are through with it bring it home then not two or three days later. I might need it. I would do the same for you.
I believe there is a cost to borrowing something. If I break it, I either fix it or get you a new one. Guess what….yep I expect the same.
I believe that when two men meet they greet with eye-to-eye firm hand shakes. I question the person who cannot look me in the eye and shake my hand at the same time. This is not expected when there is some unknown distance between them, but a hand thrown in the air or some gesture of friendship should always take place.
I believe that if I see someone stuck on the side of the road I should do what I can to help. I may need to shovel, pull out a chain and pull them out of a hole or change a tire. Rain, heat, ice, snow or nothing else should play in my decision to help. I believe that helping someone in need may be more important than being on time for a dinner engagement. My dad could not do this but we can; we can pick up our cell phones and call those who might be waiting.
I might live in a time past using the tools of today but all-in-all when I have treated everyone the way in which I would want to be treated my conscience is free.
Hmmmmm….there might be something Biblical in that!

No comments:

Post a Comment