Monday, August 24, 2009

Nike Didn't Invent "Just Do It"

Wow, it is really easy to get behind in writing my blog and this is not a simple attempt to catch up but is an actual short thought that I have had recently. It deals with the freedom to act without “permission”.

I was brought up with the idea that if it needed to be done and you knew it you were the one that was see that it was accomplished. If you went by a fence that was broken you fixed it. If you grabbed a harness that was dry you oiled it. If a light bulb was out when you flipped the switch you replaced it. If you did wrong and it was brought to your attention you corrected it. It was simple life. It was done and you did not need to worry about that item anymore. You did not have to wait around for permission or an order to get it done.

I carried this philosophy with me through my military years and it seems to have worked. When I was promoted to Spec. 4 they pinned Sgt. E-5 stripes on my shoulder. They called it an “Acting Jack”. My squad was always top in our company in everything from room inspections to field performance. Each man knew his job but was always looking to see what else could be done.

I found that when a vehicle is moving it is much easier to steer and direct. Try turning your steering wheel when you car is still! It is the same with people and organizations. The problem with this is that sometimes there will be mistakes made. Things do not get double and triple checked and find that they are late in getting done. But when the day is over more progress has been made.

I will admit there are times when perfection is needed. When the surgeon is cutting on me I want him/her to be absolutely sure that it is the correct hip he is replacing. When our astronauts are being hurtled into space I am sure they are thankful that there are those that figure and refigure the exact speed and trajectory they are being shot into. The examples could go on and on with good reason.

However, in general we do not live our lives with these margins or the need to be so precise. In fact such restriction usually slows progress and frightens people into inactivity.

Louis Pasteur said “Chance favors the prepared mind.” My words then would be to prepare the best you can, act and do not be afraid less than perfection. You will find that you will be ahead in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment