Thursday, June 11, 2009

Of Teachers and Things

I have had several great teachers in life. I can remember several “school” teachers who tried to do something with me. I am sure that each of those finally just threw their hands up and said I give up! Later in years their lessons are effective. I had parents and grand-parents who tried to teach me and some of the things they taught stuck and more each day seem to have importance. While in the Army I did not have the same privilege of “ignoring” my teachers. Maybe that is what I needed. Since those days and maybe a little more maturity I have paid close attention to those who are still my teachers. I appreciate each and every one of them.

Jesus reminded us of a very important fact when in Matthew 10:24 He said: “A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.” (NIV) These are wise instruction for our earthly teachers but even more important when we consider whose student and servant we really are.

The word "master" is the same as "teacher." The Lord Jesus is our ultimate teacher, and He teaches us through His Word--the Holy Scriptures and through others He puts in our path. It is our function to learn His teachings and, of course, to believe them.

But the world often laughs at and ridicules the teachings of Christ, and will try to persecute those who seek to follow them. The unbelieving world--even the religious world--responded to His teachings by ridiculing Him, then torturing Him, and finally hanging Him on a tree to die.

Yet we are to go to the same world with the same teachings. "Just as the Father sent me, I send you." (John 20:21 MSG). "In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world." (John 17:18 MSG).

Are you listening to the greatest teacher, the one who will teach the things eternal? If not you could start today. If you are then you understand that with the teaching comes the mission. Jesus has sent you into your world with a wonderful message of compassion and acceptance and always redemption. Go accomplish your mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment